Tuesday, September 18, 2012
The Chatham Township Fire Department has the answer at their annual pig roast Saturday.
If you have a craving for pork and German fare, the Chatham Township Fire Department has just the event to satisfy you. The department's annual pig roast, a combination family barbeque and German Oktoberfest, returns for the 10th year Saturday at the Chatham Township Fire Department headquarters on River Road. John Benton of the Chatham Township Fire Department said the pig roast can draw 100 to 300 attendants, depending on weather. "It's our second-biggest fundraiser of the year," Benton said. "We start cooking pigs at the crack of dawn, and we roast the pigs whole." The department also serves hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken, potato salad, French fries and salads as well as pork from the pigs. They also offer soft drinks and beer. The event…
Wednesday, August 29, 2012
Andrew Ruckriegel joined would-be firefighters from all over the area to receive training from veteran firefighters in Morris County.
Chatham Township resident Andrew Ruckriegel was among 100 Morris County teenagers who spent 150 of their summer's hours to train become a junior firefighter at the Public Safety Training Academy on Hanover Avenue. The course — the same training received by older firefighters — includes classroom and hands-on training. The program trains 16- and 17-year-olds to serve as junior firefighters before they can become full-fledged firefighters at 18.
Monday, July 9, 2012
Brush fire was put out within 30 minutes and may have been electrical in nature.
The Chatham Township Fire Department responded to a small brush fire at 490 River Rd. Monday, across from the River Road Firehouse. The small brush fire began at about 1:30 p.m. Monday. Chatham Township Police blocked access to River Road while firefighters were on the scene. Volunteers from the fire department cleared the scene by 2 p.m. and River Road was reopened to vehicular traffic. Firefighters believe a nearby utility pole malfunctioned, causing the small blaze. Power was not affected to the area. JCP&L was called to the scene to determine the origins of the fire. Chatham Patch will update this story as further information becomes available.
Monday, April 9, 2012
Fire officials confirm tree limb fell, pulling wires from electrical box and triggering blaze on Gallinson Drive.
Berkeley Heights firefighters battled a smoky electrical blaze at 231 Gallinson Drive around 9:40 a.m. today, caused by a tree limb that snapped due to heavy winds and fell onto power lines, which were knocked out of the home’s electrical box. Berkeley Heights Fire Chief Anthony Padovano said the homeowners were home when the electrical box in the home’s right wall caught fire and spread into the attic. Heavy winds played a factor in extinguishing the fire, which was placed under control around 10:30 a.m. “We couldn’t open any windows because the wind would have fueled the fire behind the walls and it definitely could have been worse,” Padovano said. Before firefighters could fully extinguish the fire, they had to wait for a Jersey Central…
Friday, January 6, 2012
Madison chief says blaze began in the basement of home.
Thursday, December 8, 2011
Police said students were back in their classrooms by 11:15 a.m.
Students at Chatham High School and Lafayette Avenue School were evacuated Thursday morning after the smell of gas was reported in both buildings. Chatham Township Fire Lt. Matt Glogolich said a construction company building the extension to Chatham High struck a 3-in. gas main at 10:06 a.m. and caused a rupture. "There was a gas odor in Lafayette Avenue and the high school," he said. PSE&G secured the break at 10:41 a.m. and the schools were investigated for any additional leaks. Chatham High students were evacuated to Corpus Christi Church until the scene was cleared. Students from Lafayette Avenue went into the gym. "They were looking at [sending the Lafayette Avenue students] to Washington Avenue School," Glogolich said, but the plan …
Monday, December 5, 2011
The township fire department and Chatham Emergency Squad also responded.
Chatham Township Police were on the scene of a motor vehicle accident which occured around 8 p.m. Monday at the intersection of Shunpike Road and Noe Avenue. The Chatham Emergency Squad and Chatham Township Fire Department also responded to the scene. Chatham Patch will continue to update this story.
Monday, October 3, 2011
The Chatham Township Fire Department's annual barbeque featured a bouncy house, live music and great food.
- VOLUNTEERS IN THE NEWS
Monday, October 3, 2011
The Chatham Township Fire Department held their annual barbeque on Saturday, Oct. 1. The barbeque this year included activities for kids and adults, such as a bouncy castle, tours of the fire trucks, freshly barbequed food and live music. Do you have photos from the barbque? Add them to this gallery!
Tuesday, September 27, 2011
Tickets are still available for the 10th annual pig roast on Saturday, Oct. 1 from 4 to 10 p.m.
Though summer's officially over, there's still time to enjoy one last barbecue. The Chatham Township Volunteer Fire Department will be grilling for a good cause when it hosts its 10th annual pig roast on Saturday, Oct. 1 from 4 to 10 p.m. Proceeds for the event, which will take place at the township's fire headquarters at 495 River Rd., will benefit the Firefighters Benevolent Association. The FFBA pays for a variety of things, President James Sara explained. "If we hold a training class with another fire house, we buy lunch for them out of that fund," he said. "We give a scholarship each year, the Volunteerism Award, to a student at Chatham High School. We also put together a troop care package that was sent over to Afghanistan. The fund…
Thursday, September 8, 2011
Two residents and pets escaped fire, which has been deemed accidental.
Two residents and the family pets escaped injury from an accidential electrical fire at a residence on Dunbar Street Thursday morning. The fire, which broke out shortly after 8 a.m., "appears electrical and accidental," according to Borough Fire Chief Peter Glogolich. According to the Chatham Police Department, when fire and police officials arrived at the scene there were visible flames and smoke. Police said a smoke detector alerted the residents to the fire. A smoke detector alerted the residents to the fire. Homeowner Margaret Black discovered the fire in a bedroom on the second floor. "I walked into the guest room and saw flames behind the bed," Black said. She and her husband, Doug, evacuated the house safely, along with the family's…