Monday, November 5, 2012
The school principal reported the smell of gasoline outside the school building, and no trace of gas was found inside.
The Chatham Township Fire Department called PSE&G in to investigate a gas leak outside of Lafayette Avenue School Monday. According to Matt Chase of the Chatham Township Fire Department, LAS Principal Cheryl Caggiano reported the smell of gasoline outside the school building at about noon Monday. Chase said the fire department found "minor traces of gas on the outside of the building," but no traces inside either LAS or Chatham High School. Since there was no gas reading inside the schools, Chase said there was no need to evacuate students and faculty. "We called PSE&G," Chase said. "It's not a major leak." The Chatham Township Police and Green Village Fire Department also responded to the gas leak.
Saturday, August 27, 2011
Think you missed anything in the Chathams this week?
Shore communities battened down the hatches in preparation for Hurricane Irene. Officials urge residents to stay home during the hurricane, which is predicted to arrive in New Jersey on Sunday. Climatologists say Hurricane Irene could be a monster storm for New Jersey. Flooding levels during Hurricane Irene could be similar to those experienced during Hurricane Floyd in 1999. Rutgers University moved up their move-in date for students in response to the threat of Irene. Chatham Patch has all you need for hurricane safety both before and during the storm. This includes updates from Chatham Borough and Chatham Township officials, handy numbers to have through the hurricane, information on how hurricanes are caused and a live online chat. As…
Thursday, August 25, 2011
Pavers struck an old unparked water pipe on Chatham Street.
Chatham Borough officials responded to Chatham Street Thursday afternoon when pavers struck an unmarked water pipe attached to a gas line. A PSE&G gas pipe leaked gas for a short time after the pipe was struck at approximately 3 p.m. The leak was stopped and the scene was cleared by 3:45 p.m., according to Mayor Nelson Vaughan. The water pipe was located shortly beneath the road surface and was unmarked. Vaughan said such pipes are "antiquated" and not usually used anymore. The Chatham Borough Volunteer Fire Department, Chatham Borough Police Department and PSE&G responded to the scene. Carbon Monoxide Leak in Borough Home The Chatham Borough Police Department, Chatham Borough Fire Department, Chatham Emergency Squad and PSE&G responded to…