Thursday, April 18, 2013
County and local officials were notified at around 11:30 a.m. of an abandoned bag at the station.
Numerous police agencies responded to a report of an abandoned bag left at the Chatham Train Station Thursday. Police Chief Phil Crosson said all departments responded "based on our protocol for this kind of thing," which is to treat any abandoned package as a potential threat. "It really fortunately was a false alarm," Crosson said. "Someone was being observant and noticed this package looked out of place." Crosson said he responded to the scene at about 11:30 a.m. "Everybody came out and did their jobs, and we were able to clear it out in a relatively short period of time." The area around the train station was cleared by about 1:30 p.m. Crosson said with unattended items left in public spaces, "you just don't know anymore," and first …
Sunday, February 10, 2013
Former senator, youth wrestlers to be congratulated by Chatham Council Monday
The Chatham Borough Council will vote on several resolutions recognizing the accomplishments of local residents and allowing for volunteers to hold traditional parades down Main Street, and will allow public presentations by several volunteer organizations at its meeting Monday One resolution on the agenda recognizes Leanna Brown, the former state senator who began her political career on the Chatham Borough Council. Brown remains a borough resident to this day. Another congratulates Chatham Youth Wrestling for winning the 2012 Holiday Tournament, and another supports the annual Susan G. Komen North Jersey Race for the Cure, which will be held May 5. The council will then go into closed session to discuss pending litigation against TriCare…
Tuesday, January 8, 2013
Fire official said Everbridge program was used by the county during Hurricane Sandy.
The Chatham Borough Council was blown away by the benefits of the Everbridge notification system as presented by Steve Williams of the Chatham Borough Fire Department. Everbridge is "a very, very robust, technically advanced program," Williams said, "separate and distinct" from Nixle. Under Everbridge, residents who sign up for alerts can opt to receive notifications via a reverse-911 call to their landline or cellular phone, (similar to Honeywell, which the School District of the Chathams uses), emails, texts, alerts on a tablet or any combination of the above. "People can manage their options," Williams said, and choose what they want. Additionally, certified officials who learn to use the program can send messages from a tablet or cell …
Tuesday, December 11, 2012
Chris D'Ambrosio died on Dec. 6 after a long battle with cancer.
Christopher J. D'Ambrosio, a former deputy chief of the Chatham Borough Fire Department, died at the age of 45 at Morristown Memorial Hospital on Thursday, Dec. 6. When a special person comes into your life and their time comes to pass, there is a feeling of moral obligation to stop our own life and reflect. Chris D’Ambrosio was one of those people; a man who, in the words of Cathi Losavio, "was so much fun, always joking around." Besides touching several friends and family members, his life also made an impression on several uniformed fire department and police staff in the Chathams that came to pay their respects at his funeral at Wm. A. Bradley and Son on Dec. 10. In D'Ambrosio's honor, five police and fire department units from …
Friday, September 28, 2012
Chatham Borough Police and firefighters responded to the scene.
River Road was closed at Lackawanna Court Friday when a car accident occurred shortly before 10 a.m. Patrolman Brian Maher investigated the two-car accident at 9:53 a.m. Maher found a 2004 Honda driven by Justine Beaumont, 25, of Chatham, was driving south when she lost control of the car and crossed into the oncoming lane of traffic, police said. Beaumont's car struck a 2003 GMC driven by Judith Borsellino, 68 of Berkeley Heights, according to police. The Chatham Borough Police and Fire Departments responded to the scene and closed off River Road to motor vehicle traffic. Both vehicles were towed from the scene and Beaumont was issued a summons for careless driving, police said.
Wednesday, August 8, 2012
No summonses were issued and the driver examined at the scene by Chatham Emergency Squad members.
An SUV caught on fire after it ran off the road and struck a tree on Lafayette Avenue Tuesday evening. Firefighters said Ryan Cardoza, 18, of Chatham, was headed southbound on Lafayette Avenue and struck a tree on the west side of the road near Essex Road. The car, a 1999 Honda CRV, was on fire when police arrived at 7:33 p.m. Cardoza was out of the car when police arrived at the scene near Essex Road, police said. The Chatham Borough Fire Department used foam and water to put out the fire, which created a large cloud of smoke and pungent smell in the area. Patrolman Roy George of the Chatham Borough Police Department investigated the crash. Cardoza said there was a problem with the steering wheel which caused him to veer off the road and …
Thursday, June 28, 2012
Main Street will be closed Wednesday morning for the parade.
The Chatham Borough Fire Department will host the 58th annual Independence Day Celebration Wednesday, come rain or shine. The Independence Day Parade begins at 10:30 p.m. at the intersection of Main Street and Hillside Avenue. From there the parade will travel west to Chatham Middle School, following the traditional route. Motorists should expectclosures along Main Street from 10 a.m. to noon. Fireworks will begin after sunset, which will be at 8:31 p.m. Wednesday. Gates will open for the fireworks display at 7 p.m., with entertainment beginning at 7:30 p.m. In case of rain, the fireworks display will take place Thursday, July 5. The National Weather Service predicts mostly sunny weather with a high near 89 this Independence Day, with …
Thursday, May 31, 2012
The fire started in the vicinity of a television set in the Hamilton House apartments in Chatham Borough.
A woman and her daughter escaped an electrical fire inside their Main Street apartment Thursday evening. The fire began at about 6:50 p.m., and sent the woman to hospital with smoke inhalation. The fire occurred in the Hamilton House apartment complex at 540 Main St. in Chatham Borough. At least two occupants of the apartment were home at the time, a mother, identified by neighbors as Maggie Corcoran, and her daughter. The daughter was "fine," according to the borough's OEM Coordinator Bill Nauta. Corcoran was transported to a hospital by the Chatham Emergency Squad to be treated for smoke inhilation. Chief Peter Glogolich, of the Chatham Borough Volunteer Fire Department, said the fire was electrical and occurred near the television set. …
Friday, March 30, 2012
The siren for the fire department has been disabled.
Lt. Brian Gibbons of the Chatham Borough Police Department confirmed the department's main phone line is working once again. "They routed calls into the [alternative] line," Gibbons said, allowing residents who call the main line at (973) 635-8000 to reach the police department through the line ending in 8001. The routing was set up by late Thursday, shortly after the phone line went down. "Verizon was working on it from the time it was reported," Gibbons said. "They're still continuing to do some work on the back end, and that will maybe take an additional day or two." There is no information available on the cause of the malfunction, but police think the issue also caused the emergency siren at the Chatham Borough Fire Department to …
Thursday, March 29, 2012
Residents can call (973) 635-8001 to reach police, or 9-1-1 in an emergency.
The Chatham Borough Police Department is currently experiencing difficulties with their telephone system, according to Lt. Brian Gibbons. Verizon is currently working on restoring service to the main telephone number for the police department, but there is no estimate on what time the issue should be repaired. Residents who need to reach the police can call (973) 635-8001 to reach the shift supervisor, and anyone in an emergency can call 9-1-1. Gibbons also said these problems have also caused issues with the emergency siren at the Chatham Borough Fire Department. Beginning at about Thursday, the siren went off "a few times" for several minutes, Gibbons said. The siren is not indicative of any emergency and residents do not need to be …