Southern Boulevard Elementary School
Southern Boulevard Elementary School, which serves students in grades K-3, is one of the two elementary schools located in Chatham Township. The school has a character education program called "SBS Soars" that is intended to be a joint venture between school and home. The program also sponsors a parent education series; parents read books that discuss parenting strategies and participate in book talk activities connected to their reading. It also offers a variety of other special activities. It celebrates the ancestral traditions of its students and families with February's International Festival, which features a celebration—complete with a parade and fashion show. Southern Boulevard also invites parents to participate, with their children, in what the school calls "math game days" and "writing portfolio days"—activities intended to strengthen the partnership between home and school.
A storm water basin sits adjacent to the school's parking lot; it is designed to slow rainwater runoff from the school parking lot storm drains. Several forms of native wildlife, such as frogs and butterflies, have made their home there.
Its principal is Ralph Pesapane.
- Fax: 973-635-4022
- Hours: The school day lasts from 8:35am - 3:05pm
- Handicap Accessible: It is handicapped accessible for the first floor. There is no elevator for the three-story building.
- Number of students: 504
- Male-to-female ratio: About 1:1
- Public/Private: Public
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 35
- How engaged is the school with the community?: The school has an active parent-teacher organization that helps co-sponsor a wide variety of home/school activities such as family fun nights, Saturday breakfasts, parent-teacher chat sessions, musical concerts and field trips.
- Grade levels: K-3
- Special education: Yes
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Computer lab, Infirmary, Language lab, Library, Science lab, Sports facilities