Chatham Borough's 9-11 Memorial Committee has worked since June to plan a meaningful ceremony to commemorate the tenth anniversary of 9/11.
"This is a wonderful way for our community to come together to remember all who were lost that day," said Donna Cali-Charles, chairwoman of the 9/11 Memorial Committee and president of the 9-11 Memorial Foundation.
The service begins Saturday at 6:30 p.m. at Reasoner Park and includes a bagpipe band, color guard, vocal music, blessings, speeches, and a reading of the names by family members of the 13 Chatham Borough and Township residents who perished on 9/11.
“All three Borough 9/11 memorials sites—the plaque at the train station, the sculpture at Reasoner park and the sculpture at Memorial Park—will be incorporated into the service,” said Cali-Charles.
Both sculptures were designed and built by Chatham resident Dan Smith, an ironworker and volunteer borough fireman.
The service will start with people hearing St. Ann’s of Hampton Pipes & Drum making their way from the train station as they play their bagpipes, while the Rev. Robert Mitchell of St. Patrick Church gives his blessing and a wreath is laid at the memorial.
From Reasoner Park, the bagpipers, the Color Guard from the Chatham Borough Fire Department and family members of Chatham’s remembered citizens will then lead the candlelit procession to Memorial Park behind the library where the ceremony will continue with Chatham Boy Scouts & Cub Scouts leading the pledge of allegiance, more speakers, another blessing, music and closing remarks by Mayor Nelson Vaughan III.
Cali-Charles expects between 150 to 200 people to attend the ceremony, which should last approximately one hour.
Here are some other events happening in Chatham this weekend:
Friday, Sept 9
- CHS Girls Varsity Soccer Game vs. Dover Park High School @Chatham Haas turf, 4 p.m.
- CHS Boys Varsity Soccer @ Dover High School, 4 p.m.
- CHS Girls Varsity Tennis @ Whippany Park High School, 4 p.m.
- CHS Boys Cross Country Invitational @ Dover Park High School, 6 p.m.
- CHS Girls Cross Country Invitational @ Dover Park High School, 6 p.m.
- CHS Varsity Football @Hackettstown High School, 7 p.m.
- CHS Varsity Girls Cheerleading @Hackettstown High School, 7 p.m.
- The band Crash Moderns will perform at River Grille starting at 10 p.m., no cover.
Saturday, Sept 10
- CHS Girls Varsity Field Hockey game @Summit High School, 3 p.m.
- Julie's Mindful Parenting group, 10:30 a.m. until noon at the , 55 Main Street, $10.
- Chatham Borough Farmers Market at the Borough train station from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m.
- Visit Vendor Moon Doggie Coffee Roaster's booth where 100% of proceeds from every cup of coffee and iced tea will be donated to the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- League of Womens Voters will register people to vote and raise awareness of upcoming elections.
- Mayor's ongoing Wellness Campaign, "Know Your Numbers"
- Children's Author Cindy Kane Trumbour will read from her latest book "The Mangrove Tree" from 2 until 2:45 p.m. All ages welcome.
- Chatham Borough 9-11 Memorial Service starting at 6:30 p.m. at Reasoner Park by the gazebo.
- The band Pocket Aces will perform at River Grille starting at 10 p.m., no cover.
Sunday, Sept 11
- Trees of the Great Swamp Walk at the Great Swamp Oudoor Education Center from 10 until 11:30 a.m. for ages 12 and up, $3. 247 Southern Blvd.
- "Spectral Selves" art show at Library of the Chathams. Paintings, prints and drawings done in oil, acrylic and conte.
- Two events at Juniper Village, 500 Southern Blvd:
- 9/11 Memorial Service from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.
- Grandparent's ice cream sundae celebration starting at 2:15 p.m. followed by singers Jay Dougherty and Bill starting at 3 p.m.