School security is front and center in the first Board of Education meeting since the
Superintendent Michael LaSusa will address school security in his report to the Board of Education after he increased police presence at Chatham schools following the Dec. 14 school shooting.
"Our school district has taken steps to better secure its facilities in recent years, but clearly an event like this alters the prism through which we view the safety of children and staff members," LaSusa said after the shooting.
There are also several donations to the district up for approval Monday, including:
- $1,000 for upgrading outdoor lighting in schools. The funds are a 2011/2012 Safety Incentive Plan Award through the New Jersey School Boards Association Insurance Group’s ERIC West Sub Fund.
- $150 from the Work-Family Connection to the Chatham High School PTO for scholarships to graduating seniors.
- $10,857.78 from the Chatham Education Foundation to Chatham Middle School for the purchase of Netbook carts.
- $349 from the Athletic Booster Club to Chatham High School for the football coaches to attend a Glazier Football Coaching Clinic.
- $3,720 from the Chatham High School PTO to Principal Darren Groh as a contribution toward the cost of Netbooks purchased earlier in the school year.
The board will also vote on an action item approving the retirement of Bruce Humphreys from Chatham Middle School, and the resignation of Paraprofessional Mary Maroney. Maroney's resignation is effective Dec. 31, 2012; Humphreys' is effective July 1, 2013.
The Board of Education of the School district of the Chathams meets at 7:30 p.m. Monday at the Chatham Township Municipal Building. A full copy of the agenda can be found attached to this article.