.

Woman, Daughter Escape, Cat Rescued From Fire

The fire started in the vicinity of a television set in the Hamilton House apartments in Chatham Borough.

A woman and her daughter escaped an electrical fire inside their Main Street apartment Thursday evening.

The fire began at about 6:50 p.m., and sent the woman to hospital with smoke inhalation.

The fire occurred in the Hamilton House apartment complex at 540 Main St. in Chatham Borough. At least two occupants of the apartment were home at the time, a mother, identified by neighbors as Maggie Corcoran, and her daughter.

The daughter was "fine," according to the borough's OEM Coordinator Bill Nauta. Corcoran was transported to a hospital by the to be treated for smoke inhilation.

Chief Peter Glogolich, of the , said the fire was electrical and occurred near the television set. When firefighters entered the apartment, they rescued the resident's pet cat, Nala.

Nauta said the woman would stay with family in the area until the apartment was deemed safe for her to return to.

The fire was confined to none apartment on the second floor of one of the complex's three buildings. It suffered severe smoke damage, and adjacent apartments also suffered some smoke damage. Fire departments used fans to ventilate the units.

One apartment on the first floor of the unit, directly below where the fire started, had some water damage, though the residents, a mother and son, were not injured.

Supervisor Michael Sullivan, himself a retired fire fighter from East Orange, said in the 26 years he has lived at Hamilton House, the complex has never had a fire.

Chatham Township Fire Department, Madison Fire Department and Florham Park Fire Department also responded to the fire.

Chatham Patch will update this story as further information becomes available.

brielle June 01, 2012 at 01:23 AM
painfull to watch right across the street especially when your friend is the one whos house is on fire.
brielle June 01, 2012 at 01:23 AM
thank god everyone is ok.
Peter June 01, 2012 at 01:26 AM
Even though I was across the street from the fire, My best friend was the one in the fire and my mother actually took the cats to the vet. I saw her mother go to The hospital and it was tradgic. I Hope she gets better!
Paula Lorditch June 01, 2012 at 03:39 AM
I took my girlfriend's cat from the firefighter who instructed me to get her to a vet asap. He had a pet sized oxygen mask on her - he said they are in need of more of these masks to save the lives of pets. If it wasn't for that mask, her circumstances could have been more dire. Right now she is under very good care at the animal hospital. The vet just called me and we just have to wait till morning to see how she progresses. Please help our firefighters get these pet masks they really need. They did a fantastic job saving the cat as well as getting the mom and daughter to safety.
Karen de St. Paer June 01, 2012 at 05:33 AM
Great to have competent firemen and EMTs that volunteer their time to help the people of Chatham, like these 2 tonight. I pray that everyone is okay

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »