The Chatham Township Fire Department called PSE&G in to investigate a gas leak outside of Lafayette Avenue School Monday.
According to Matt Chase of the Chatham Township Fire Department, LAS Principal Cheryl Caggiano reported the smell of gasoline outside the school building at about noon Monday.
Chase said the fire department found "minor traces of gas on the outside of the building," but no traces inside either LAS or Chatham High School.
Since there was no gas reading inside the schools, Chase said there was no need to evacuate students and faculty.
"We called PSE&G," Chase said. "It's not a major leak."
The Chatham Township Police and Green Village Fire Department also responded to the gas leak.