A Meyersville Road home damaged by a fire Friday evening was deemed uninhabitable by Chatham Township's fire official, police said Monday.
Police Detective Brad Hayworth said fire in a fireplace ignited other items in the living room, then spread to a second-floor room and the attic.
A man and a woman were in the home when the fire started, and one of them called 9-1-1 at 5:07 p.m. Friday, Hayworth said.
Chatham Township Fire Chief Robert Evans has said they tried putting out the fire with a fire extinguisher before calling for help.
They were taken to Saint Barnabas Medical Center for evaluation for possible smoke inhalation and released, Hayworth said. He said they had arranged somewhere to stay. Attempts to reach them Monday were not successful.
The main body of the fire was knocked down by firefighters by 5:51 p.m. All visible fire was knocked down by 6:47 p.m., and officials left the scene at 8:41 p.m., Hayworth said.
In addition to the Chatham Township Fire Department, Green Village, New Providence, Berkeley Heights, Summit and Madison fire departments were called. The Chatham Emergency Squad and the Morris County EMS bus also responded.