A red-tailed hawk, a curious doe and Fairmount Cemetery were among the subjects photographed for the Explore Chatham Photo Contest.
Winning entries were announced at a reception Saturday at the Library of the Chathams. All entires were displayed. Chatham Downtown Alliance founder Tony Britt introduced the winners, and the judges discussed the reasons they chose particular photographs. Winning photographers discussed where and how their photographs came about.
The contest was designed to highlight the new Explore Chatham website, which has information about Chatham trails, and to let photographers"have some fun," former Chatham Borough Mayor Dick Plambeck has said.
"When we created the Explore Chatham website last year, part of the purpose was to educate people as well as to encourage them to get out and enjoy some healthy outdoor exercise," he said. "This photo contest really expands on that website purpose, and it also provides opportunity to photographers to share their work and inspire others."
Here are the winners in the different age divisions and subject categories.
- Drew Moore 1st Place (tie) “Song Sparrows On Fallen Branch”
- Chris Thomas 1st Place (tie) “Yellow Warbler”
- Dick Plambeck 2nd Place “Shepard Kollock Red Tail Hawk”
- Drew Moore 3rd Place “Curious Doe”
- Dick Plambeck 4th Place “Tree Swallow”
- Dick Plambeck 1st Place “Turkey Tail Tree Fungus”
- Katherine Fung 1st Place “1st Date With Fall”
- Chris Thomas 2nd Place “Waterfall”
- Dick Plambeck 1st Place “Gazebo & 9/11 Memorial”
- Mike Chidlousky 2nd Place “Close View Railroad Station”
- Melina Panagakos 1st Place “Rabbit”
- Jared Kofsky 1st Place “Flower”
- Laurel Jade Monks 2nd Place “Fairmount Cemetery”
- Jared Kofsky 3rd Place “Flowers”
- Jared Kofsky 1st Place “Roof Peak”
- Laurel Jade Monks 2nd Place “Kelly’s Pond”
- Laurel Jade Monks 1st Place “Fairmount Cemetery”
- Jared Kofsky 2nd Place “Station Tunnel”
The winning photographs will be displayed as part of Studio 54 at the Chatham Municipal Building through the end of the year and then will go on display at the Library of the Chathams for the month of January.
They will also will be featured on the Chatham Borough website at www.chathamborough.org and on the Chatham Community Bulletin Board on Channel 21 (CableVision) and Channel 32 (Verizon FIOS).
Chatham Downtown Alliance merchans provided prizes for the winning entries: Angie’s Family Restaurant, A Taste of Asia, Chatham Cellular, Crescent Jewelers, Home Sweet Home, Kitchen Intuitions, Quartet Home Décor & More, The Music Center, T.M. Ward Coffee Co., Arminio’s Italian Corner, Bliss Fashion & Accessories, Chatham Sport Shop, D.J. Crater, Jabberwocky, Powerflow Yoga, Springstreet Dezigns, The Stitching Bee Inc., and Village Hardware & Paint. Frames on Main/Legends Gallery, Investors Savings Bank and the Chatham Jaycees Inc. sponsored the contest.