The massive heat wave that hit the central and eastern US last week seems to have broken, if predictions by the National Weather Service can be believed. The predicted temperatures for Monday range from 66 to 86 degrees (a far cry from the 100-and-over temperatures experieinced last week) with a 40 to 50 percent chance of thunderstorms. If you feel up to leaving the comfort of your air-conditioned house, check out the Five Things You Need to Know Today to learn about some of the Monday's events in the Chathams:
- You need to know about Christmas: The holds a Christmas in July Special at 10 a.m.
- You need to know about driving safety: The is holding a Drivers Safety Program for Adults at 10 a.m.
- You need to know about getting healthy: The Mayors Wellness Campaign hosts a at the at 2 p.m.
- You need to know about art: The Art League of the Chathams opens their at 6 p.m. at the Chatham Township Municipal Building.
- You need to know about today’s weird holiday: July 25 has been celebrated as Christmas in July since 1933, with the origins of the holiday dating from a North Carolina summer camp which celebrated with a Christmas tree and a visit from Santa Claus. It gained national popularity during World War II, when churches and branches of government began throwing Christmas in July parties in New York and Washington, DC.
For other information worth knowing, see the Chatham Patch events calendar and announcements section—and if you've got something the community should know, don't forget to make a post of your own in one or both of those site sections.