Poor Herbie's was among the businesses that participated in the first Taste of Madison back in 2002.
Twelve years later, the Madison mainstay is still going strong and preparing for another appearance at the annual event next month.
The 2014 Taste of Madison will be held Monday, April 7 at the Park Avenue Club in Florham Park. The event, which will feature nearly 30 local food establishments, will include a rare, local appearance by the renowned wineries of the Napa Valley Vintners, a trade organization for the distinguished vineyards of Napa Valley, that will be the sole provider of wine to taste guests.
Gary’s Wine & Market Place, the longtime presenting sponsor of the event, arranged for the special participation by the members of the Napa Valley Vintners.
Poor Herbie’s has participated in the taste from the start, according to Judy Mullins, a proprietor of Poor Herbie’s, which has been owned and operated by her family since 1992 and is located at 13 Waverly Place.
"At the taste, we are serving our crowd-pleasing Shepherds' Pie—beef with peas, carrots, savory gravy and a topping of creamy mashed potatoes. Comfort food," Mullins said in the middle of her crowded dining room before St. Patrick’s Day.
“Madison has a very active cluster of exceptional dining choices, concentrated in our historic downtown, and The Taste of Madison is a great opportunity to try all the participants,” Mullins said.
The Taste offers VIP admission at $100, which permits entry an hour early at 6 p.m. General admission at $65 permits entry at 7 p.m. The event ends at 9:30 p.m. Valet parking is available. All guests must be 21 years of age or older. Tickets are available at www.TasteOfMadison.org and at Gary’s Wine & Marketplace at 121 Main St. and at Gary’s other locations in Wayne and Bernardsville.
The following Madison merchants are also selling tickets:
- d torr boutique at 36 Main St.
- Sprouts Consignment at 250 Main St.
- The Madison Pharmacy at 66 Main St.
- Salvatore Minardi Salon at 8 Park Ave.
Tastings of beer and spirits will be on tap at the taste courtesy of Main Street Wine Cellars, 306 Main St. Along with the fine food and drink, the taste offers its guests a silent auction and a basket raffle and a 50/50 raffle.
The following Madison food establishments are serving food at the Taste:
- Empire Schezuan, 258 Main St.
- Chef Loryn's, 250 Main St.
- Whole Foods, 222 Main St.
- Stop & Shop, 133 Main St.
- Rob's Bistro, 75 Main St.
- Il Mondo Vecchio, 72 Main St.
- Rocco's Tuscany Bar & Grill, 30 Cook Plaza
- Casa Azzurri, 90 Park Ave.
- Poor Herbie's, 13 Waverly Place
- Crowley Cupcakes, 7 Waverly Place
- Firehouse, 15 Central Ave.
- Romanelli's Pizza & Italian Eatery, 42 Lincoln Place
- David's Rumba Café, 6 Elmer St.
- Drip Coffee, 34 Main St.
- On A Roll, 50-1/2 Main St.
- Soho 33, 33 Main St.
- Begum Palace, 300 Main St.
- Rod's Steak and Seafood Grill and GK's Red Dog Tavern, both of 1 Convent Road,
- Morristown, and Park Avenue Club of 184 Park Ave., Florham Park, are also serving food at the taste.
The following Madison businesses will also have their own stations at the Taste: Avenue Travel, 62 Main St., is raffling a $250 travel voucher. Salvatore Minardi Salon, 8 Park Ave., is serving melted caramel over fresh fruits. Coviello Brothers, 245 Main St., is serving jellies and assorted crackers.
For more information about the Taste of Madison, visit www.TasteOfMadison.org or contact the Madison Area Chamber of Commerce at info@MadisonNJChamber.org or 973-377-7830.