September is the annual Healthy Aging Month when Americans nationwide are reminded to focus on the positive aspects of growing older and take personal responsibility for one’s health – physically, socially, mentally or financially. More than 15 years ago, the national health initiative, Healthy Aging, was developed to provide people with helpful information for successful aging.
The Healthy Aging group encourages people to reinvent themselves, take control of their health and use September as the motivation to take stock of where one’s been and consider what one really would like to do if money were no object. The following are tips and tidbits for new beginnings:
- Go back to school. It’s never too late to take courses to refocus your career, enhance a skill set or expand your knowledge. Many degrees are now available through online courses or local adult schools!
- Take a volunteer vacation. Many travelers are opting for “giving back” vacations that allow for meeting and helping new people, learning something new or fulfilling a dream. Volunteer Vacations Across America is an excellent resource.
- Initiate a financial makeover. Make an appointment with your financial advisor or find one this month and walk through your current finances and long-range monetary plans.
- Get moving like there’s no tomorrow. Dancing, swimming, walking and golfing are a few of the favorite activities of older adults.
- Eat fresh. Make a commitment to add more fresh fruits and vegetables to your daily snacks and meals. Try to cook from scratch using fresh ingredients as much as possible.
Healthy Aging Month is a motivation for senior citizens to resolve that it’s not too late to shore up their health, pursue something new or revive a favorite hobby or activity. Right at Home senior care can help seniors achieve their goals and live their lives to the fullest.
What are some tips for aging positively? What do you think works well for seniors to reinvent themselves?