Cougar Weekend is one of the biggest weekends of the high school's seasonal sports calendar. In many ways it's bigger than homecoming, with most games from freshman to varsity teams played “on Chatham’s home fields,” said Harvey Cohen, athletic director at Chatham High School.
“Cougar Weekend is a great way for the Chatham community to get involved," said Lori Gironda, an assistant principal at Chatham High. “It’s not just about Chatham High School, but about families, kids, and community.”
Many student clubs will sell items during the games to help raise money for their activities. The Key Club, Pep Club, Music, Theater Booster Club and other school organizations will sell Cougar-related products to fund student-run activities such as the senior class end of year picnic.
Below is list of all games, times and locations.
Friday, Sept. 23
- 4 p.m.: Girls Varsity Volleyball @ CHS vs. Hanover Park High
- 5:30 p.m.: Girl's JV Volleyball @ CHS vs. Hanover Park High
- 6 p.m.: Boys Varsity Soccer @ Cougar Field vs. Mendham High
- 8 p.m.: Girls Varsity Soccer @ Cougar Field vs. Mendham High
Saturday, Sept. 24
- 9 a.m.: Girls Varsity Volleyball @ Bloomfield High School
- 10 a.m.: Girls Varsity Field Hockey @ Cougar Field vs. Mendham High
- 11:30 a.m.: Girl's JV Field Hockey @Cougar Field vs. Mendham High
- 1:15 p.m.: Boys JV Soccer @ Cougar Field
- 1:15 p.m.: Boys Freshman Soccer @ Cougar Field
- 2:45 p.m.: Girls JV Soccer @ Cougar Field
- 2:45 p.m.: Girls Freshman Soccer @ Cougar Field
- 4:00 p.m.: Boys Freshman Football @ Cougar Field
- 7:30 p.m.: Boys Varsity Football @ Cougar Field vs. Boonton High School
Here are some other events happening in Chatham this weekend:
Friday, Sept 23
- NJ Minstrels Band at Juniper Village, 4 p.m.
- Chatham Cub Scout Information/Registration @ Ogden Memorial Presbyterian Church, corner of Main St. and Elmwood Ave., 7 p.m.
Saturday, Sept 24
- Free Tai Chi and Kung-Fu classes at Stanley Congregational Church, 94 Fairmount Ave, 8 a.m.
- Chatham Borough Farmers Market, 8 a.m. until 1 p.m. at the train station. Live owls from the Raptor Trust, and the Boy Scouts are selling popcorn and cider.
- Green Fair of the Chathams at the Gazebo. Pumpkin painting, children's book swap, eco-games, and more:
- 9 a.m. until noon: community paper shredding
- 11 a.m. until noon: Rizzo's Reptile Discovery
- 12:30 to 1:30 p.m.: The Chatham Brass Band
- Story time at the Library of the Chathams, for children ages 6 and under, 11 to 11:30 a.m.
- Great Swamp Outdoor Education Center, Map and Compass Skills, ages 8 and up, 1 to 3 p.m., 247 Southern Blvd. Registration required, 635-6629.
- Farm Jam at The Farm at Green Village. Benefit for Chatham EMS and Kopila Valley Orphange, 5:30 p.m. $25 for adults, $15 for kids aged seven to 17, 403 Green Village Road.
- David Bromberg Quartet at The Sanctuary Concerts, 240 Southern Blvd., 8 p.m. Currently sold out, but any subscriber cancellations or additional seating will be sold at the door one hour before showtime.
Sunday, Sept 25
- Great Swamp Outdoor Education Center, "Fall into Fall" walk from 1 until 2 p.m., $3. Registration required, 635-6629.
- Legopalooza at Library of the Chathams. Build your own lego creation from the library's own collection of legos, 2:30 until 4 p.m.