School Board to Vote on Election Times, Locations
The proposed time is 2 to 9 p.m. Tuesday, April 16.
The Board of Education of the School District of the Chathams will vote on a resolution setting polling locations and times, notice postings, drawing for positions and public hearing dates for the upcoming school board elections.
The board proposes to hold elections from 2 to 9 p.m. on Tuesday, April 16. If the resolution passes, Chatham Borough residents will vote at Chatham Middle School; Township residents will vote at Chatham High School.
If the board approves the resolution as currently drafted:
- Notices will be posted at all Chatham schools, the Library of the Chathams, municipal buildings and the Chatham Post Office.
- A drawing for positions on the ballot will take place at 10 a.m. Wednesday, March 6 in the school district office.
- A public hearing will take place at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, March 21 in the Chatham Township Municipal Building.
Three seats are up for election this year, one representing Chatham Borough and two representing Chatham Township. Matthew Gilfillan and John Nonnenmacher currently hold the two seats representing the township. Phil Franz holds the seat from the borough, the same seat which was vacated by Stephen Barna in September.
Those who wish to run for the Board of Education must meet the following requirements:
- Hold U.S. citizenship and live for at least one year in the school district
- Be registered to vote in the district before the Feb. 25 filing deadline
- Not hold municipal office or another elected office, and have no interest in any contract with or claim against the board.
Anyone who wishes to file can pick up a Board Election Kit from the district office between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, or can download one from the district website.
The kit includes a nominating petition which must be filed by the 4 p.m. deadline on Monday, Feb. 25. The petition requires 10 signatures of registered voters living in the district, and the verification section must be completed by one of the signatories.
The Board of Education meets at 7:30 p.m. Monday in the Chatham Township Municipal Building. A full copy of the agenda is attached to this article.