Minor Gas Leak at Lafayette Ave. School
The school principal reported the smell of gasoline outside the school building, and no trace of gas was found inside.
According to Matt Chase of the Chatham Township Fire Department, LAS Principal Cheryl Caggiano reported the smell of gasoline outside the school building at about noon Monday.
Chase said the fire department found "minor traces of gas on the outside of the building," but no traces inside either LAS or Chatham High School.
Since there was no gas reading inside the schools, Chase said there was no need to evacuate students and faculty.
"We called PSE&G," Chase said. "It's not a major leak."