Electrical Fire Evacuates Chatham Club
There were no injuries, officials say.
Members and employees of The Chatham Club were evacuated at about 2:40 p.m. Friday when an electrical fire broke out.
Keith Vastola of the Green Village Fire Department said they received the call at 2:38 p.m.
"The fire was put out quickly," Vastola said, but the club remained "very, very smoky."
Fire departments from Green Village, Chatham Township, Chatham Borough and Summit responded, along with the Chatham Emergency Squad and Chatham Township Police.
Chris Rutgers, the general manager of the Chatham Club, said this incident was "verry different" from another electric fire which evacuated the club in June. "There were actual explosions ... in the electrical system," Rutgers siad. "We just don't know what the cause was."
Rutgers said the first thing she heard was a "popping."
Vastola and Rutgers said everyone inside the club made it outside safely, and there were no injuries from smoke inhalation.
"I've never experienced anything like this in the 26 years I've been here," Rutgers said.
Emergency personnel remained on the scene as of 4:30 p.m. Friday venting the club of smoke.