Complete List of 2012 Borough Goals
Borough Administrator Bob Falzarano presented this list to the Chatham Borough Council at the Jan. 23 meeting.
The following is a complete list of the 2012 Goals and Objectives for Chatham Borough, as presented by Administrator Robert Falzarano to the borough council at the Monday meeting. The list was compiled by Falzarano, with input from the council and Mayor Bruce Harris.
Falzarano said the list is still in draft form.
2012 Goals and Objectives
1. Goal: Prepare and submit for approval the 2012 budget.
- Compile the budget that was submitted by each department head.
- Schedule at least one finance committee meeting.
- Revise the budget; develop multi-year forecast for both operating and capital.
- Discuss the budget with the Auditor.
- Submit the budget for first reading during the month of March 2012.
- Adopt the budget in April 2012.
- Receive state approval before June 1, 2012.
- Issue department budgets to each department head, board and commission chairs.
2. Goal: Initiate preparation of the 2013 budget by Aug. 1, 2012
- Send requests to the department heads, board and commission chairs to prepare and submit their 2013 budgets before Sept. 1, 2012.
- From October 2012 through January 2013, discuss the 2013 budget with the Finance Committee.
- During the month of January 2013, meet with the Auditor.
- Provide written summary of the budget to the mayor and council.
- Initiate budget hearings at the first February 2013 council meeting.
- Complete budget hearings before March 1, 2013.
- Introduce the budget during the month of March 2013.
- Adopt the budget during the month of April 2013.
3. Goal: Complete the sidewalk maintenance program before Sept. 1.
- Request the engineer to complete the sidewalk improvement list before May 1 and prepare bid specifications.
- Advertise for bids during the month of May.
- Award the contract at the first meeting in June.
- Complete the project before Aug. 15.
4. Goal: Schedule 10 monthly department head meetings.
- Prepare written agendas for each meeting.
- Invite the mayor and one or two borough council members to attend each meeting.
- Develop professional development lectures. Guest speakers will be scheduled.
5. Goal: Revise the Table of Organization for the Borough of Chatham.
- Before Feb. 1, revise the Borough Table of Organization.
- Feb. 1, distribute for comment the revised Table of Organzation to the borough staff and elected officials.
- Distribute the revised Table of Organization before Feb. 1.
6. Goal: Renovation of Shepard Kollock Park.
- The Borough Engineer will discuss final plan options with the mayor and council after the Shunpike Field completion date is certain.
- Advertise for bids after the borough council approves the project scope of work, March 2012.
- Award the contract at the first April 2012 borough council meeting.
- Complete the project before November.
7. Goal: Continue to develop the borough website.
- The Communications Technology Advisory Committee will develop a proposal to further improve the website.
- Before May 1, discuss improvements with the borough council.
- Implement improvements before Sept. 1.
8. Goal: Develop a new borough Administrative Code.
- Before April 1, the borough council will authorize a committee to initiate the preparation of a new Administrative Code.
- Before June 1, complete the first draft of the Administrative Code and send to the mayor and borough council for review and comments.
- Before July 1, the mayor and borough council will send the revisions to the borough attorney for review.
- Before Aug. 1, the proposed Administrative Code will be placed on the borough website for comments from the public.
- The discussion will be scheduled for the September borough council meeting.
- The first reading of the ordinance will be scheduled for the October 2012 borough council meeting.
9. Goal: Continue to review and revise the Affordable Housing Plan for compliance if so directed by the Council on Affordable Housing (COAH).
- The administrative agent will continue discussions with potential developers and property owners.
- The administrative agent will evaluate grant possibilities to augment developer fees to use for rehabilitation.
- The administrative agent will evaluate sites for further development or redevelopment for age-restricted and other low- and moderate-income housing.
- The administrative agent will revise the plan as required.
10. Goal: Continue to investigate and implement green initiatves and implement energy audit recommendations.
- The borough engineer will discuss recommendations with the borough council before April 2012.
- The borough engineer will prepare a budget and submit to the administrator before June 1.
- If funding is approved, implement recommendations before Jan. 1, 2013.
- Continue to obtain grant funding.
- Before June, the Green Initiatives Committee will identify and investigate green intiatives shared services opportunities with other towns.
- The Green Initiatives Committee will present the green initiatives shared services recommendations including grant opportunities to the borough council before September.
- If approved by the borough council, the green initiatives shared services implementation schedule will be scheduled for completion during 2013.
- Investigate joint solar opportunities with the Joint Meeting.
11. Goal: Identify shared services opportunities and discuss with other municipalities.
- Before April 1, the Finance Committee will identify further shared service opportunities.
- Before June 1, contact other municipalities to identify shared service opportunities.
- Before Aug. 15, develop plans and submit the plans to the governming body for review.
- Before Oct. 15, prepare shared service agreements and submit to the governing body.
- Before Jan. 1, 2013, implement shared services agreements.
- The Finance Committee and the borough administrator will evaluate the effectiveness of existing shared services agreements: Joint Meeting, Joint Recreation, Board of Health, Joint Court and Construction.
12. Goal: Review options to make Woodland Park accessible and implement a plan.
- Form a joint committee with Chatham Township and Chatham Borough.
- Schedule meetings with Chatham Township officials to discuss the options.
- Provide written summary of the budget to the mayor and council.
- Present the Woodland Park Access Plan recommendations to the governing bodies.
- If approved, implement the plan.
13. Goal: Update the Historic Preservation Property Inventory.
- Before June 1, the Historic Preservation Commission will review and update the current property inventory list and find new properties.
14. Goal: Continue to investigate the cost and timeline for the implementation of GIS for the water, sewer and storm water systems.
- Before March 1, the borough engineer will develop an implementation plan and identify functions.
- Before May 1, the borough engineer will obtain price quotes for the development and implementation of the GIS system.
- Before June, the borough engineer will submit the price quotes to the administrator, mayor and borough council for review.
- The matter will be scheduled for the June borough council meeting.
- If the project is approved, the borough engineer will develop an implementation time and submit the timeline before July 1.
15. Goal: Relocate and upgrade the Emergency Operating Center.
- Before Feb. 1, identify and prepare equipment estimates.
- Prepare the renovation and equipment purchase plan before March 1.
- Before May 1, relocate the Emergency Center from 212 in the Chatham Borough Municipal Building to the decommmissioned Police Communications Center.
16. Goal: Develop a list of state and county issues.
- Before Jan. 10, meet with the department heads to develop a list of items.
- Before Jan. 20, send the raft list to the mayor and borough council for review.
- Prepare the final list before Feb. 1 and submit the list to the mayor and borough council.
17. Goal: Review and prepare recommendations for improving parking in the downtown area.
- The Parking Task Force Committee will schedule meetings to identify specific parking problems by location.
- The Parking Task Force Committee will develop options to resolve the parking probles that the committee identified.
18. Goal: Develop a long-range strategic plan for economic stability.
- Before Jan. 30, the Finance Committee will identify economic options that will maximize borough assets and stabilize property taxes for multiple year cycles.
- Based on the economic options that are identified, the Finance Committee will prepare a draft strategic planning document that will be circulated to the mayor and borough council before April 1.
- After the review process is completed, the strategic plan recommendations will be presented to the public for review and comments.
- The final plan will be presented to the mayor and borough council before Aug. 1.
19. Goal: Identify and review options for the expansion of the Community Garden.
- During the first six months of 2012, the Community Garden Committee will develop a plan to identify and review new sites.
- In the fall of 2012, the committee will present the options to the borough council.
- The sites that are approved will be scheduled for development for the 2013 growing season.
20. Goal: Complete the Complete Streets Plan by the end of 2012.
- Develop the plan and review drafts before March 31.
- Prepare the plan before June 2012.
- Hold discussions and revise the plan.
- Adopt the plan before November 2012.
21. Goal: Expand the trail system.
- The Environmental Commission will identify new trail sites.
- The Environmental Commission will explore new grant funding opportunities.
- When new grant opportunities are identified, the Environmental Commission will work with Mrs. [Janice] Piccolo to prepare and submit grant applications.
22. Goal: Identify locations for the construction of a dog park.
- The Open Space Committee will identify possible locations.
- The Open Space Committee will discuss the site options with the borough council.
- If the borough council approves a site, the borough engineer will develop cost estimates and discuss the design and costs with the Open Space Committee.
- When the Open Space Committee has approved a location and the cost estimate is prepared, the proposal will be presented to the borough council.
23. Goal: Continue to transition Chatham Recreation to a club model.
- The Recreation liaisons, Joint Recreation Committee and [Interim] Recreation Director will develop a timeline by sport for the transition from the current program to a club model.
- The transition will be completed before Dec. 31.
24. Goal: Examine the effectiveness of technology systems.
- Before April 1, obtain feedback from the users.
- Develop recommendations before June 1.
- Submit recommendations before Aug. 1.
25. Goal: Remove excess lighting on Main Street.
- Request lighting level standard from the New Jersey Department of Transportation.
- Conduct lighting level readings of the existing lighting and compare to the Department of Transportation's standards.
- Work with Jersey Central Power & Light to remove excess lighting before Oct. 1.
26. Goal: Renovate the council chambers.
- Before March 1, remove the railing and swinging doors.
- Before March 1, lower the top of the dais nine inches.
- Reconfigure the table microphones and determine if wireless microphones will interface with the current audio systems.
27. Goal: Evaluate new monthly reports.
- Receive feedback from the mayor and borough council.
- Discuss the feedback from the mayor and borough council with the department heads.
- Submit revised monthly reports.
- Request feedback from the mayor and borough council.
28. Goal: Develop a long range capital infrastructure plan.
- Identify and prepare a list of projects that were completed from 2001 through 2011.
- Identify and develop a 10-year infrastructure project list.
- Review the project list with the Finance Committee.
- Schedule a discussion with the borough council.