Chatham Township Historic Marker Erected
As part of the Historical Society of Chatham Township's marker project, a seventh historical marker has been erected at the Price-Baldwin House located on Southern Blvd. It identifies the house as circa 1770 and is one of the pre-revolutionary houses that existed before the incorporation of Chatham Township. The original five room house doubled in size in the early 1800s representing a prosperous farmer's home. It was owned by Edward Price, a successful blacksmith and farmer, who amassed a 178 acre farm that extended across Southern Blvd. and into the Great Swamp. The house features a most unusual beehive oven.
Markers have been erected at Noe Pond on Southern Blvd., The Colony Association on Spring St., Beys Boxing Camp on River Road, The Noe Farmstead on Southern Blvd., The Elias Boudinot House on Green Village Road and The Johnson Farmstead on Fairmount Avenue.
The markers are part of an ongoing effort by The Historical Society of Chatham Township to raise the level of awareness of the Township residents to the richness of the area in which we live.
The Society needs donations to support our project. Contributions can be sent to Ken Hetrick, Treasurer, The Historical Society of Chatham Township P.O. Box 262 Chatham, N.J. 07928